I'll Gae Ye Sich A Kickin'!
The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett
Just when you thought good writing in Scottish accents couldn't get any better -- ta-da!
I resisted reading this book for the longest time. I didn't want to have any truck with Terry Pratchett dumbing himself down for the masses -- or for the kiddies, either. Thankfully, if there was any dumbing going down, I didn't notice.
Instead, we get the most we've seen thus far of the Nac Mac Feegle, who are to be numbered among the greatest group literary creations ever, if only on the basis of linguistics. Mr. Pratchett has always had the ability to make things ring perfectly in print that become unpronounceable on the tongue -- and this is a good thing, as what else is print for? -- and he goes to unprecedented lengths here. The result is a glorious labyrinth of spelling that dazzles the rarely-titillated inner ear most rewardingly.
We are also treated to one of the genre's (children's, I mean) more unique heroines, a stalwart young witch named Tiffany who's more than a match for even Granny Weatherwax. Or will be in a few decades.
Perfect spelling and stories gone haywire -- who could ask for more?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home